Saturday, December 29, 2012

My Little Box Necklace

About a week and a half before my Dad died, he gave me a pair of unusual, little silver boxes. (Everyone who knows me knows that I have a penchant for little boxes.) Each box has a tiny sliding door in the back. At first I thought they were snuffboxes. But then I saw that there were holes in one end of each box.

antique French vinaigrette (scent box)




Then it hit me - they were vinaigrettes! No, not salad dressings, this vinaigrette is a small scent box. They were used in the late 1700's and early 1800's to carry a scrap of cotton or cloth which had been dipped in scent. Some of these scents were vinegar-based, hence the name. Sounds quite pungent, doesn't it? But it made sense in a time when people did not bathe regularly.












necklace I made with antique vinaigrette my father gave me



So when my father died somewhat unexpectedly, I decided to make a necklace with one of them to wear to his funeral. It seemed especially appropriate to me because he loved the slightly eclectic jewelry  that I make.


hanging view of necklace made with recycled beads and chain

You can see that it is quite long, but I made it so the length can be adjusted. 


 closeup of recycled beads, capacitor, ^ chandelier crystals

It's made with all recycled materials. I used vintage chandelier crystals, bits of a number of vintage necklaces. Part of the necklace is made from a vintage beaded light bulb cover. I also threw in a capacitor (an electronic component).


recyced / upcycled necklace

I added a large faux pearl to one end. When you shorten the necklace, this will hang down in back as an added element. I love it, and I think of my Dad whenever I wear it.

 Let me know what you think of my creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment