Monday, February 11, 2013

Personal Amulets - Fiber Collage?

I'm not sure what to call these. I like to think of them as personal amulets - that the wearer could carry a personal message of some kind in each vial. Maybe just a single word or a snippet of a love letter or photo.

fiber arts collage on recycled glass vials

I bought these tiny glass vials at an estate sale and had no idea what to do with them. Until I made the first amulet. Then I had so much fun making them that I couldn't stop. I even took them with me when I went to my best friend's house for dinner and worked while she cooked. There may have been some wine involved!

more fiber arts collage on recycled glass vials

I used so many bits and pieces to decorate them:

  • sari silk scraps
  • pages from a vintage atlas
  • vintage lace
  • pieces of a 100 year old tape measure
  • recycled ribbons
  • wool and silk yarns
  • remnants from a gorgeous dress my mother had in the 60's or 70's 
  • wire
  • even some vintage child's rings
closeup of fiber arts collage on recycled glass vials

closeup of more fiber arts collage on recycled glass vials

look at all the decorated glass vials

Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment