I was very disappointed when I pulled out one of my favorite cardigans - I like it because it's sooo long - and found that moths had wreaked havoc. It was covered in holes. Some of them were large enough to poke a finger through. So sad! I was ready to throw it onto the thrift shop pile (or the to-be-felted pile) when I decided to try to save it.
First I cut out leaf shapes from some wool sweaters that I had felted for earlier projects. I didn't use a pattern; I just free-handed it. But I like how that made each leaf a little different. Then I needle felted the leaves to the sweater.
Next I added some wisps of dyed wool roving to add some texture and variation in color to the leaves.
Then I used wool yarn to make the branches. I twisted the yarn unevenly as I went to give it texture.
I continued to trail the branches all over the back adding leaves where there were holes or where they were needed for the design. But it was all very freehand and unplanned.
Here's a picture showing the entire back. The design also wraps around one side so I could cover more holes.
I had to add one more leaf on the front to cover a small group of holes. Instead of trailing a branch there, I just made it a falling leaf.
For the final touch I used a fabric marker and very lightly drew an almost imperceptible curving line down the center of the leaves with a few veins added in. It's almost invisible, but it improved the look overall.
Now I'm going to try to talk my husband into going to the First Friday gallery walk so I can take it for a test drive. Wish me luck!