Monday, August 26, 2013

Roasted Cabbage and Kielbasa

I stopped at the pop-up vegetable market off Bickett today and got this organic cabbage for dinner. A friend had just been talking about roasting cabbage, so I decided to make a slightly Germanic dinner.
cabbage for dinner

In a bowl, I mixed olive oil, sea salt, fresh ground pepper, and Dijon mustard. I love the Trader Joe's Dijon; it's delicious. Whisked this all together and brushed it over the sliced cabbage. 
marinade for the cabbage recipe

Doesn't it look great? And this isn't even all of the head of cabbage.  I covered it in foil and put it in the oven to roast. Then I got a beer and sat down to relax while dinner cooked. As soon as I sat down, I remembered the garlic. Or remembered that I forgot the garlic. So I went and pulled the dish out of the oven to add the chopped garlic. I was amazed at how hot the copper gratin pan was already. When cooks talk about how well copper conducts heat, they aren't kidding!

It roasted for 30 minutes, Then I added the sliced turkey kielbasa, covered it back up, and roasted for another 20 minutes. 
roasted cabbage

Then I uncovered it and let it cook another ten minutes until it was nicely browned.
roasted cabbage and turkey kielbasa recipe

Looks yummy, doesn't it? Next time I may add whole garlic cloves because I love roasted garlic.
roasted cabbage and kielbasa

 And what a bargain. This entire dish cost about six dollars and made six servings. Next time I'll make cooked apples to serve with it. That would have been the perfect accompaniment. 




No comments:

Post a Comment